Location: Lincoln, NE
Position Summary: The Senior Estimator is responsible for managing and leading a team of Estimators to coordinate and oversee the progress and completion of all tasks associated with the budgeting and estimating phases of all projects. This position will represent the Company to Owners, Architects, Engineers, and other outside parties. The Senior Estimator will execute the estimating activities on challenging, complex projects while directing the timely execution of all processes by other members of the Estimating team.
Full-Time, Day Shift, Monday to Friday
- Lead, manage, and be the primary decision-maker for the estimating team while delivering results through others. Review the estimates prepared by the team to determine completeness of data used, procedures, and aid in resolving differences in bid items.
- Interface with Owner, Architects, Engineers, and Contractors to solve problems. Confidently and intelligently present estimates to internal Executive and Senior Management and external Owners resulting in executed decisions.
- Prepare or support the team in the components of more complex cost estimates for competitive bids and negotiated proposals.
- Ensure that the team bids and buyouts all projects in alignment with the Company’s goals and the Department’s standard operating procedures (SOPs). Help to develop and consistently update the Department’s SOPs to align with the evolving nature of the business.
- Properly qualify proposals, and support the team in these efforts, to protect the Company by utilizing exclusions, allowances, specific unit pricing, material qualifying statements, and constructability statements.
- Create and present value engineering proposals to help reduce cost, time, and promote efficiency. Identify unique risks associated with each assigned project and help develop a mitigation plan in conjunction with the Client, Preconstruction team, Subcontractors, etc.
- Work directly with the Project Team during subcontractor and supplier selection to review all critical path subcontractors and long lead-time materials to ensure timely, and well-organized project turnover.
- Participate in 90-day project reviews to evaluate estimating performance, and post-project reviews.
- Apply knowledge of subcontractor market and properly prequalify subcontractors.
- Provide on-the-job guidance to coworkers and willingly share subject matter expertise to support team member learning and development.
- Participates and provides feedback in project start up, close out, and monthly Project Review meetings, as required.
- Lead the performance reviews of Estimators.
- Follows all policies and procedures set forth in the Employee Handbook and Company Safety Program.
Skill Knowledge and Ability Requirements:
- Expert level of proficiency in Bluebeam or similar digital takeoff software.
- Work within DESTINI Estimator and DESTINI Bid Day by Beck Technology estimating software.
- Proficiency in MS Office with emphasis on strong Excel skills, and Company’s current bid solicitation software; ability to learn Project Management and Scheduling software applications.
- Deliver high quality work that is accurate, complete, and well-organized.
- Productively use time to meet multiple deadlines.
- Take ownership of tasks and responsibility for own actions.
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written; participates/leads in meetings.
- Excellent leadership ability with capacity to motivate people and support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Proactive in managing workload and following up on information.
- Sound judgement skills and professional approach; able to evaluate issues and make proper decisions while maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to build relationships with team members that transcend a project.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, or related field (Preferred).
- In lieu of the above requirements, equivalent relevant experience will be considered.
- 8-10 years of Estimating experience.
- Commercial Construction experience (Preferred).
- Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance.
- Must be able to sit or stand at least 85% of the time.
- Some out-of-town travel may be required; airline and automobile travel could be required.
- Frequent communication with internal and external contacts; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
Dental and Vision Insurance
Disability and Life Insurance
401(k) with 4% Company Match
Annual Performance and Loyalty Bonus
Self-Managed Vacation Hours
Company Cell Phone